Saturday, May 22, 2010

Soccer and Birthday

Today has been a pretty relaxed day in Uganda. We began our day like we always do by going to MUBS for breakfast and then heading out from there.

We started out by going to the section of Kampala called Kololo, which is the wealthiest part of Uganda where 1 acre of land costs about 1 million US dollars. We went to a hotel there to meet with our speaker. When we arrived at the hotel, the first thing I noticed was how nice the hotel was in comparison to some of the other parts of the city we have seen. The hotel was built by one of the richest person in Uganda, entrepreneur Patrick Bitature. He spoke about being a successful entrepreneur and what it takes to be successful. It was really interesting to listen to all he had to say because he owns many different types of business in Uganda.

After we finished at the hotel, we went back to MUBS for a quick lunch. We had more Ugandan food like yesterday, except today they had a meat that I did not know what it was so I asked one of the MUBS students and he said it was liver and it was probably from a cow. I was a little freaked out at first, but I told myself that I was going to try it anyway. I did and it wasn't too bad. It was chewier, but also had a smoother texture than beef. Then after lunch, we looked at some art work and then the professors went and got two birthday cakes for my birthday. The cakes were really good. They were sweeter than American birthday cakes, but they were still good and they had butter cream frosting on them which is my favorite.


After lunch, we quickly changed at Red Chilli and got back on the bus and headed to Mandela National Stadium to watch soccer. The Ugandan National Team was playing the Kenyan National Team. The atmosphere was so fun! The fans were all into the game and had whistles and noise makers and Ugandan Flags that they all proudly blew and waved. We had really nice seats. They were at midfield and had backs. Uganda won the match 1-0, so everyone was happy.

Then we came back to Red Chilli to have dinner and hang out! It has been a fun day full of friends and smiles and laughter!

Now we head off to the southwest region of Uganda tomorrow to visit a national park, visit a primary school, go over the equator, and so much more!

3 comments:

  1. umm susan. u rock. that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susie, Happy Birthday to you!! I'm so glad you had a birthday cake. Sounds like you are having a fab time! Enjoy it all. Love and prayers, Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Suz! Just got computer out o' the shop and finally got to read your blog! I'm so glad you're keeping us all posted by doing this! It is so neat to see and hear about all of the things you're doing there. I'm fascinated! I hope your birthday was memorable...I'm sure it was, being in a whole other country and all! Love You! ~Love, Auntie

    ReplyDelete